Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Get Me to the Church on Time

Today we visited a few churches and my favorite one was Sant'Ignazio di Loyola. It's located in a beautiful piazza- Piazza di Sant'Ignazio. The church doesn't looking especially magnificent from the outside but as soon as you go inside you are speechless. Your eyes are immediately drawn upward to the beautiful ceiling that depicts biblical scenes across a blue sky. All along the sides of the church are elaborate altars and tombs, each exquisitely decorated.


The thing that surprised me the most was the "dome". Right in the middle of the church, it looks like there is a huge dome, as was the original plan for the church. But the dome was never built and the area was filled in, but it was painted to give you the illusion of a dome! It was pretty incredible to see because if my professor wouldn't of told me that, I never would of known. It is a pretty well-known tourist site, I think due mainly to the amazing artwork and the unusual, optical illusion "dome".

No comments:

Post a Comment